Death of Harry W. Wing Removes Good Citizen
Had Long Been Active in Many Ways in Town of Monson
The death of Harry W. Wing occurred July 30th at the home of his daughter, Mrs. C. Everett Page, Jr., in Bangor, following 14 months of failing health. Mr. Wing was born in Barnard April 19, 1868, the son of the late Ira P. and Mary A. Wing.
While a small boy his parents moved to Monson and he attended the schools of this town. Being interested in chemistry and medicine and very friendly with the late Dr. C.C. Hall, then a physician in Monson and having employment in the Folsom drug store, he qualified himself and passed State examinations for a registered druggist. For a time he conducted a drug store in Sangerville, and later was located in Salem, Mass. Nearly 50 years ago he came back to Monson where he has since made his home. For many years he was employed by the Monson Maine Slate Co. in various departments.
He was a lover of sports and in his younger days was a leader in baseball. He had exceptional talent as an actor and directed many local plays in town. Early in his 20’s he joined W.L.Sampson Camp, S of U.V. and soon became the camp commander. Interest in the camp died down and after a time through his influence the camp was revived and again he served his camp as commander. He attended the State Encampments faithfully, and in 1939 was elected Department Command which office he filled with distinction to himself as well as to the Maine Department.
He was a Past Consul of Lake Hebron Camp, M.W. of A. and a Special Deputy for several years organizing many new camps throughout Eastern Maine. For many years he was drum major of the Monson band and was ever efficient in the performance of his duties.
He served his town on the board of selectmen for 6 years, 5 of which he was chairman of the board. He was a member of the Monson Men’s Club and Monson Board of Trade. He was a man of exceptional ability, of kindly manner, and firm in his convictions.
He leaves to mourn their loss, a daughter, Mrs. C. Everett Page, Jr. of Bangor, and a son, James P. Wing of Somerville, Mass., also a sister, Mrs. Nellie Dean of Boston, who has spent several summers here with him in recent years.
The remains were brought to Monson Friday, where a funeral service was held in the Congregational church at 2:30 p.m., Rev. Ruth Jackson officiating. Many beautiful flowers spoke silently of the high esteem in which he was held by relatives and friends. The bearers representing the Sons of Union Veterans, Monson Band, and friends were Arthur L. Bray, Charles W. Stevens, Frank T. Hughes, Earle H. Jackson, Lawrence M. Hammond, and Elmer H. Lindie. Interment was in the Wing lot in the New Cemetery.
Those attending the funeral from out of town were Mr. and Mrs. C. Everett Page, Sr. of Kingfield; Mr. and Mrs. C. Everett Page, Jr., Mrs. Raymond Gilmore, James McClain of Bangor; James P. Wing, Somerville, Mass., Mrs. Nellie Dean, Boston; Mrs. Elmer W. Sayward, Guilford; Albert H. Bartlett, Dover-Foxcroft; Perry W. Thombs, Brownville Jct.; Miss Hope Buxton, and Giles M. Fogg, Abbott.
Burial in Hillside Cemetery, Monson, Piscataquis, Maine